Clicking a user name or other link in Acclaim in your internet browser should open your email programme to enable you to author an email to that user. If this does not happen on your computer, here is what to do:
Windows 7 through 10
- Go to Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Associations
- Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
- Scroll down to the Protocols section, look for the MAILTO row, and double-click on it
- Select the email client of your choice from the popup
Many third party email clients on the Mac will ask you if you want to set them as the default mail app, but regardless you can always set it yourself using the following actions:
- Open the “Mail” application in Mac OS X, even if you’re wanting to use another mail client
- Pull down the “Mail” menu and choose “Preferences”
- Go to the “General” tab
- In “Default email reader” click the pull down to see the mail app options
- Choose “Select” to browse the /Applications/ folder and select a different one manually
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the Tools menu
- Select Internet Options
- Click Programs tab
- Select your email client from the drop-down list
- Click OK/Apply button
- Open your Chrome web browser
- Click the Chrome menu icon in the top right-hand corner of the window
- Click Settings
- Click Show Advanced Settings at the bottom of the page
- Under "Privacy," click Content Settings
- Scroll down to the "Handlers" section, and click the Manage Handlers button
- Select your desired, default email client (e.g. Gmail)
- Open your Firefox web browser.
- Click the Firefox menu the top right-hand corner of the window.
- Click Options (PC) or Preferences (Macintosh).
- Go to Applications.
- Use the search bar for "mailto."
- Click the drop-down menu under the "Action" column.
- Select your desired, default email client (e.g. Use Gmail).